KUALA LUMPUR, 24 March 2009: Following are among the highlights of Umno deputy president Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s speech at the official opening of the general assemblies 2008 of the Umno Wanita, Youth and Puteri movements.
The assemblies took place at the Merdeka Hall, Putra World Trade Centre (PWTC), here tonight.
* The task of Umno delegates this time is the heaviest in the history of Umno because at stake in the party election this year is not just a handful of party posts, positions or status for any individual but also the survival of Umno itself.
* The decision to be taken by the Umno delegates this time will determine the future of the party, whether it will continue to shape and mould history, or just become an entry in the annals of history.
* Umno members must not be apologetic in facing with rhetoric and slander hurled by the opposition.
* Umno members must be down to earth and not remain nostalgic about past achievements without striving to create new successes.
* Umno members must resolve to eradicate money politics right down to the roots, otherwise they would be collectively responsible for the demise of the party.
* Umno must desist from blocking talented members from making progress so that it would not be seen as a party that was against new ideas, anti-intellectuals or a party that is not friendly to the young generation.
* The situation today demands that Umno corrects its mission and direction and it must identify new and refreshing initiatives to transform the party in order to reclaim its position as the party of choice for all Malay Malaysians.
* Umno must review the party constitution regarding the quota system so that the selection of Umno leaders will be more inclusive of a greater number of Umno members from all levels as a means of curbing money politics.
* Umno needs a team that has the traits of loyalty, integrity, ability and dedication to duty. — Bernama