BANGKOK, 1 Jan 2009: No Malaysians were involved in a fire that killed 58 people and injured more than 100 others at a top Bangkok nightclub celebrating the New Year on Thursday.
Malaysian and Thai officials confirmed that there were no Malaysians killed or injured in the incident on New Year’s eve.
The fire is said to have been caused by fireworks, but some eye-witnesses said that it was an electrical fault at the Santika Club.
Although details are still sketchy, it is learnt that clubbers were given sparklers shortly before midnight and as soon as the clocks heralded the start of 2009, fireworks started going off inside the dance area, sparking a conflagration.
The club is located at Ekkamai, a street popular with foreign revellers and high-society Thais. Many of the bodies were charred beyond recognition and the blaze completely gutted the building. — Bernama